1. I survived the "hurricane"
2. Laura is such an amazing friend. Thank you!
3. My apartment is pretty legit. We called it a "hotel" by mistake
4. I have the master bedroom, my own walk-in closet AND a view of the Pentagon.
5. I have great peers and roommates.
6. The grocery store is so far away. We got lost getting there, bought too much, and had to carry it in the metro. Pain in the REAR. We have proof.
7. Found the fastest and easiest route to get to the grocery store the day after.
8. Almost killed the metro machine where you get in. I guess you're not supposed to put the card through . . . the guy was like "You want to break this or what?!?" Funny but embarrassing. Not a good sign of blending.
9. Never, EVER stand on the left side of the escalator - there will be a stampede of people running behind you.
10. Witnessed a robbery when waiting for the metro to arrive. With police chasing and everything. Wow.
11. I love riding the metro!
12. I need to buy lots of hand sanitizer.
13. Visited National Mall, Union Station, National Gallery of Art, Library of Congress (my fave), and the Capitol.
14. It hasn't been as humid as some people say it has been.
15. Very attractive singles in my ward. Like very attractive.
16. I will be in 1st grade!!
17. Have walked about 4 miles daily. Easily.
18. I'm very happy and excited to be living here.
19. Hope I get a job here after I'm done!
20. I'm doing a pretty good job of blending - until I pull my camera out. Hah.
Here is the excerpt of the letter:
Today, I was able to go into the two elementary schools we will be closely working with - Miner Elementary and Maury Elementary. I will be in a 1st grade class in Maury Elementary. I think it was a definite culture shock when I got to these places. The streets seemed to come from movies and the schools themselves were renovated but still had a lot of parts of the old building. We were greeted at Miner Elementary by security, which every schools has, and a wonderful principal. You have to remember that these schools are 97% black - teacher andstudents. So you could see how that could be a bit intimidating. Just imagine 8 white people coming into a predominately black school - looked kinda funny. The principal, accompanied by her staff (or as she called them her "golden girls) told us the history of education weaved with information on education during the Civil Rights Movement, the history of Miner Elementary and made every educator in the room introduced themselves. This school has some of the greatest resources and programs (like Reggio Emilia preschool programs, government, etc) I have heard of and some I have never even thought to have! This principal has a partnership with just about every important organization, university, and museum in the city. I can tell that she allocates her resources very, very efficiently and I saw this as I toured the school. They have art and music rooms, and science all around the school (including animals, a pond and a vegetable garden). Now, I feel this is a great place to have these resources bcause about 80 families in this school are homeless. This means that about 2-4 kids in each family are homeless and come to this school. You're talking approximately 160 to 320 students.These kids come to school seeing things they've never seen or heard of, and are welcomed into an environment that is welcoming, loving and uplifting. Now, Maury Elementery is where I will be teaching. The school was recently renovated (they moved in 2 days before school started) and we arrived at the same time the architects did. Apparently, some of the flooring glue stuff wasn't dried yet when the earthquake happened so they are going to have to do some fixing; therefore, we could not meet with the principal since she was busy. But, we were able to tour the school and I am extremely excited to be in this school. It's new, they have great resources, have great technology, and works closely with the programs at Miner Elementary. I can't wait to start on Friday! I will be taking the metro and them walking about 20 minutes to get to school - that means I will have to leave home at around 7:15 to make it in time for 8, yikes! I'm so happy to be in such a wonderful place with great schools and support.
The thing that struck out to me today was one question made by the principal and staff of one school: Why would I, being a white student teacher, want to teach or be in an all black school? They didn't phrase it exactly this way but the meaning was the same. I thought long and hard about the answer since I was completely taken aback. What I answered them and myself I said because I care to educate, support and love children, no matter where they come from or what their situation may be. I want to be an instrument in God's hand to care for his little ones, to love them, teach them, and essentially do everything in my power to enhance all aspect of learning for my students and as a teacher. I hear many great things happen, as some here call them "miracles," in these schools, to the students being taught and the teachers. I can't wait to meet the little ones, get to know them, earn their trust, teach and grow as a teacher. I will be sure to think about this question throughout the semester and I'm curious as to what the response will be at the end of the semester.
-pardon the spelling
Now what you've been waiting for - PICTURES!
| Metro!! |
| Metro station |
| Archives Gallery - Where the Constitution is . . . |
| National Gallery of Art - I saw a the only Leonardo DaVinci painting in the US. |
| I think where the Supreme Court meets . . . |
| Library of Congress! |
| Library of Congress |
| Capitol Building |
| Beautiful, huh? much love!! :) |
You have a blog! Yea! We can be blog buddies now lol
ReplyDeletebeautifully said! I got a little teary eyed reading your letter-haha.
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you joycey- what a great opportunity.
I'm looking fwd to reading more of your posts.
love you!
what a great way to start a semester! i'm so excited for you. i know you will be a great asset to the school and a blessing to your students. i look forward to regular updates and pictures! XOXO
ReplyDelete